Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Big Hike Begins!

Tomorrow I head out with my buddy John Sinner for Mt. Whitney. Mt. Whitney is the tallest mountain in the lower 48 states at 14,497 ft above sea level. We are actually hiking the mountain on Friday, but we are heading up tomorrow to have a couple of days to get acclimated to the elevation. We start at around 8,500 ft, hike 11 miles up to the summit at 14,497 and back the 11 miles down. We are starting at 3AM on Friday and tentatively getting back around 8-9PM that night. It is going to be crazy, but fun. Plus we don't have to camp way up at 12,000 ft with a ton of other campers if we just do the whole thing in 1 day. I'll post some pictures when I get back. Wish me luck!!

2 comments:

Kara said...

Good luck!! My grandpa and Jack Cragun climbed Mt. Whitney a few years back. Have fun!

Sue said...

Well....., so how was it? Did you guys make it to the top? How sick, if at all, did you guys get from the altitude? How were your legs after 22 miles/6,000 ft. of elevation gain and 6,000 ft. of elevation loss? Were you able to drive directly home, or did you have to recuperate for a day or 2? Tell us, tell us, tell us!!!!!

Jim Sparks