Monday, March 10, 2008

Our First Bloody Experience



We had our first major blood incident on Friday. We were house-sitting at my parents house enjoying the additional square feet of space for everyone to roam. I was at work when it all happened. There is a round table in the tile floored entryway that has a few framed pictures. Darcy proceeded to climb into her stroller that was parked right next to the table. Upon climbing in, she even stood up and leaned over the grab at some of the pictures. The stroller rolled backwards away from the table causing Darcy to fall head first into the tile floor. She took a big chunk of skin from her upper lip that just kept bleeding. Being a baby, she refused to let anyone touch it with anything, even to simply soak up the massive blood. I got the call and came rushing home. Luckily the office is only 2 miles from the house. At this time Tara and my sister Kelly had laid Darcy on her back on some towels on the bathroom floor. I had Tara change her clothes and cover her shoulder with a towel and then pick Darcy up to help calm her down as she was screaming so loud. Within a minute Darcy had calmed down almost completely, but the bleeding hadn't stopped. We decided to take her down to Urgent Care to get examined. The doctors said she isn't showing any signs of concussion, fractures, or anything like that. He told us just to keep her calm and watch the bleeding. Darcy fell asleep by the time we got home and took a good long nap. It stopped bleeding by the time she woke, only breaking open a couple of times after that while she was eating. Today she is going great. A nice big scab on her upper lip and that's almost the only sign of the fall. I am so grateful that she is such a trooper and that nothing serious happened. I'm sure it isn't the last time we will experience blood with kids, but I feel a little better prepared now having dealt with the first one.

4 comments:

Sarah and John Root said...

What a little trooper! We're glad she's feeling better. Oh the joys of parenthood :).

Gena Susan said...

Poor little Darcy! She looks like a trooper though! I'm sure that must of been scary for you and Tara...whenever Emma hurts herself I always feel horrible, spooked, and sometimes I wish I could keep her in a bubble. They're at the mobile age where scrapes, falls, and scratches are bound to happen every day. :(

Seth, in answer to your question, my camera is a Nikon D80. I did own a D40x for a week but I had some major problems with it. Right after Christmas I upgraded to my D80. I LOVE it!!!!

Take care!

Gena Susan said...

Awesome! How do you like the 200mm VR lens? Jeff wants one...but hasn't convinced me quite yet. :)

I have the kit (18-135mm) lens but don't use it much. I shoot mostly with my 85mm 1.8. (I love that lens!)


I love all of your pictures of Darcy. She looks so sweet!

Oh and the Madison Ave AMAZING eyes..I have no idea what she does. I imagine she starts with a very crisp picture and then sharpens like crazy in post-processing. I wish I knew how she does it. The eyes make her pictures!

Anonymous said...

Seth's daughter cracks her lip open, and the first thing he thinks of: what a photo opportunity! Haha, just kidding man...glad to hear she's doing good.